(Often used interchangeably with coaching)
What is a Patient Mentoring Approach?
Firstly Here are Some Ideas…
- “Both coaching and mentoring are learning relationships which help people to take charge of their own development, to release their potential and to achieve results that they value” Connor and Pokora (2007)
- General personal development
- “The art of facilitating the learning, development and performance of another” (Downey:1999)
- “Coaching is a facilitation approach” (Whitmore:1992, 2004)
However you need to be receptive to the approach because as Galileo Galilei says “You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him discover it within himself”
In Dental Terms and in Dr Sheikh’s Philosophy it Means the Following:
- A professional relationship based on trust that supports you through your dental journey
- You as the patient at the centre and the focus of that relationship
- An assessment to establish your desires, needs and priorities
- A realistic appraisal to ascertain whether you desires are achievable, discussions about alternatives
- A process that informs you about your condition so that you may base decisions about your treatment from a position of knowledge.
- An outcome that meets your expectations
- We play our psrt in ensuring that you as far as possibly enjoy a healthy dentition for as long as possible.
- Where repair and renewal is minimised through a preventive maintenance programme.